So yesterday I set out to protect my Google App Engine (GAE) API with HTTPS. I had already set up my Google App Engine instance. I was vaguely familiar with Let’s Encrypt (https://letsencrypt.org/), although I had never used it. I also had a basic grasp of cryptographic primitives used in encryption and certificates.
There are a lot of blog posts out there about this along with a bunch of StackOverflow posts, all with varying instructions. The official ones by Google seem outdated, and the only thing I could find on Let’s Encrypt side was a bug saying something along the lines of “plz add support for GAE”. I tried a few, and by combining steps in some of them (and a lot of frustration and eventually-resolved confusion) I got it to work. I’m writing up this blog post primarily for myself (so that when I need to re-encrypt in a few months I know how), but hopefully someone out there might find it useful.