If you are a C or C++ programmer somehow still on the fence about whether or not you should take #rustlang seriously, consider this piece from Cliff Biffle an absolute must-read:
Bounter is a Python library, written in C, for extremely fast probabilistic counting of item frequencies in massive datasets, using only a small fixed memory footprint.
Bounter lets you count how many times an item appears, similar to Python’s built-in
from bounter import bounter counts = bounter(size_mb=1024) # use at most 1 GB of RAM counts.update([u'a', 'few', u'words', u'a', u'few', u'times']) # count item frequencies print(counts[u'few']) # query the counts 2
Counter, Bounter can process huge collections where the items would not even fit in RAM. This commonly happens in Machine Learning and NLP, with tasks like dictionary building or collocation detection that need to estimate counts of billions of items (token ngrams) for their statistical scoring and subsequent filtering.
Bounter implements approximative algorithms using optimized low-level C structures, to avoid the overhead of Python objects. It lets you specify the maximum amount of RAM you want to use. In the Wikipedia example below, Bounter uses 31x less memory compared to
Bounter is also marginally faster than the built-in
Counter, so wherever you can represent your items as strings(both byte-strings and unicode are fine, and Bounter works in both Python2 and Python3), there’s no reason not to use Bounter instead.
I am generally a fan of Go’s approach to concurrency: writing code with goroutines is a lot easier than writing traditional nonblocking network servers in a language like C or C++. However, while working on a highly concurrent network proxy I came across an interesting realization about how the Go concurrency model makes it harder to write programs that do a lot of concurrent I/O with efficient memory usage.
The program in question is a network proxy akin to HAProxy or Envoy. Typically the proxy has a very large number of clients connected, but most of those clients are actually idle with no outstanding network requests. Each client connection has a read buffer and a write buffer. Therefore the naive memory usage of such a program is at least: #connections * (readbuf_sz + writebuf_sz).
There’s a trick you can do in a C or C++ program of this nature to reduce memory usage. Suppose that typically 5% of the client connections are actually active, and the other 95% are idle with no pending reads or writes. In this situation you can create a pool of buffer objects. When connections are actually active they acquire buffers to use for reading/writing from the pool, and when the connections are idle they release the buffers back to the pool. This reduces the number of allocated buffers to approximately the number of buffers actually needed by active connections. In this case using this technique will give a 20x memory reduction, since only 5% as many buffers will be allocated compared to the naive approach.
The reason this technique works at all is due to how nonblocking reads and writes work in C. In C you use a system call like
epoll_wait(2) to get a notification that a file descriptor is ready to be read/written, and then after that you explicitly call
write(2) yourself on that file descriptor. This gives you the opportunity to acquire a buffer after the call to select/epoll, but before making the read call…
In this post “Top 10 coding problems of important topics with their solutions ” are written. If you are preparing for a coding interview, going through these problems is a must.
WARNING: This tutorial is for educational purposes only, and by NO MEANS should you actually be malicious when (or after) making a rootkit. I thought I’d share how to do this for any security minded people who would like to learn more on how to prevent or look for rootkits. This will be done in C on Linux, probably using libraries and functions you’ve never seen. It is also advisable to do this in a VM to get the hang of compiling and loading modules. Messing with the kernel can cause things to go crazy, if not break- you have been warned.
- Creating a Syscall: pname
- Peter “Pname” Pan gets captured by Captain “Rootkit” Hook
- Hiding From the System Admins “ps” Command