“I have learned a lot more internal things about Google Cloud Spanner from past two days. I read some of the portions of the Spanner white paper and the deep internal things from the Google Cloud Next event videos from Youtube. I’ll share the video links here, but I want to summarize all the learnings in one place. That’s why I wrote this blog post. A special thanks to Deepti Srivastava(Product Manager for Spanner) who presented the Spanner Deep Dive sessions in the Google Cloud Next Event.”
Switching a goroutine from an OS thread to another one has a cost and can slow down the application if it occurs too often. However, through time, the Go scheduler has addressed this issue. It now provides affinities between the goroutines and the thread when working concurrently. Let’s go back years ago to understand this improvement.
- 2. Anthos (the new name for Cloud Services Platform) is now generally available on Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE) and GKE On-Prem, so you can deploy, run and manage your applications on-premises or in the cloud. Coming soon, we’ll extend that flexibility to third-party clouds like AWS and Azure. And Anthos is launching with the support of more than 30 hardware, software and system integration partners so you can get up and running fast.
- 3. With Anthos Migrate, powered by Velostrata’s migration technology, you can auto-migrate VMs from on-premises or other clouds directly into containers in GKE with minimal effort.
- 4. Anthos Config Management lets you create multi-cluster policies out of the box that set and enforce role-based access controls, resource quotas, and namespaces—all from a single source of truth.
- 5. Cloud Run, our fully managed serverless execution environment, offers serverless agility for containerized apps.
- 6. Cloud Run on GKE brings the serverless developer experience and workload portability to your GKE cluster.
- 7. Knative, the open API and runtime environment, brings a serverless developer experience and workload portability to your existing Kubernetes cluster anywhere.
- 8. We’re also making new investments in our Cloud Functions and App Engine platforms with new second generation runtimes, a new open-sourced Functions Framework, and additional core capabilities, including connectivity to private GCP resources.
This is a collection of concepts I tried to implement using only Python, NumPy and SciPy on Google Colaboratory. If you want to play with the code, feel free to copy the notebook and have fun.
Streak makes a CRM add-on for Gmail, and recently adopted Cloud Spanner to take advantage of its scalability and SQL capabilities to implement a graph data model. Read on to learn about their decision, what they love about the system, and the ways in which it still needs work.
Google Developers Codelabs provide a guided, tutorial, hands-on coding experience. Most codelabs will step you through the process of building a small application, or adding a new feature to an existing application. They cover a wide range of topics such as Android Wear, Google Compute Engine, Project Tango, and Google APIs on iOS.